Halloween Cobweb Cake!
All Hallow’s Eve is almost upon us so here is our recipe for Halloween Cobweb Cake which is sure to get the proceedings off to a good start!
For the Cake, you will need:
2x 20cm sandwich tins, greased and base lined
180g (6 oz) plain flour
2 level tablespoons cocoa
1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 level teaspoon baking powder
150g (5oz) caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
150ml (¼ pint) sunflower oil
150ml (¼ pint milk)
For the icing you will need:
225g (8oz) plain chocolate
100g (4oz) butter
50g (2oz) white chocolate
1 plastic spider
- Heat the oven to 160°C (325°F, Gas Mark 3)
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl
- Beat the eggs, oil, syrup and milk together in a smaller bowl/jug
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture
- Beat well and pour into tins
- Bake for 30 – 35 mins until the cake springs back when pressed with a fingertip
- Turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a small bowl over a pan of hot water
- Add the butter in pieces and mix well
- Allow to cool slightly
- Spread half the icing on to one of the cakes and sandwich the other on top of it
- Cover the cake with the rest of the icing (you will need to do two coats, pop the cake in the fridge to set the first coat before adding another, keep the chocolate warm over the pan while you do this)
- Break the white chocolate pieces into a clean bowl and melt over a pan of hot water, stirring gently
- Leave to cool for a few minutes and spoon into a piping bag/ small plastic bag with a tiny corner snipped off or one of these child friendly piping nozzles
- Gently squeeze a spiral design on to your cake
- Feather the cobweb out with a cocktail stick
This cake works much better if you can find a mini witch or wizard to stir the cauldron!
Happy Halloween baking!