Why Don’t You…?
It’s Friday again already, half term is behind us here in the West Country and the sun is shining. With a hint of Spring in the air there is even more reason to get busy so Why Don’t You….?
1. Get Going With Growing. It’s time to start planting seeds for a summer show of flowers or a good crop of vegetables for the pot. Make some newspaper plant pots together and keep coming back here for more tips to keep children interested in the garden! Local seed swaps are fantastic for stocking your garden cheaply with stuff which works and for gleaning advice from experts so check your local paper for one in your area (we’re going to one on Sunday!) If you can’t find one local to you Garden Swap Shop is a good on-line resource or set one up yourself!
2. Get your thinking caps on and join in with the Playing By The Book International Edible Books Festival
this is a brilliant idea for encouraging children and adults to really get to grips with kids literature! So, what is an edible book?
Your creation can be anything as long as it is (theoretically) edible and is somehow children’s literature related. For example, it could (1) look like a book, (2) be inspired by the content of a book, (3) look like a book character or be based on a book’s text – really, anything goes as long as there is a children’s book connection. (Zoe Toft, Playing By The Book)
There are fantastic prizes up for grabs so wander over to Playing By The Book and read all about it!
3. Friday 2nd March is National Doodle Day so get doodling! This is a simple and very enjoyable way to raise some money for a worthwhile cause. Thousands of celebrities, schools, companies and individuals have joined together and helped raise over £220,000 for Epilepsy Action since the event was established in 2004.
4. Celebrate St David’s Day on 1st March by going daffodil spotting. They are up, waving their sunshiny little heads in many parts of the country so get out and about and see how many you can see. When you get back, why not indulge in a bit of daffodil craft? We love this simple daffodil bunting over at Nurture Store, Cathy has lots of daffodil ideas as well as some delicious Welsh cakes on her site this week!
5. Climb a hill and fly a kite, there’s nothing quite like it for blowing away those winter cobwebs and it is something everyone from toddler to teen can enjoy!
What are you up to with your family? Is there anything we really should be doing between now and next Friday?